- 2 Timothy 3:5
One word wrap:
2-edge sword: WORD
REVIEW: 3 things we learned from last Sunday’s message – Church of Thyatira
1. Don’t be like that woman Jezebel, who called herself a prophetess.
She was a prophetess: But……gifts, talents, callings and abilities do NOT make you acceptable to God! (Balaam: Num. 31:8,16)
Jezebel’s greatest sin: leading people away from God via Idolatry and immorality! (Matt. 18:6-7;10—woe to leading saints into sin)
6But if you cause one of these little ones who trusts in me to fall into sin, it would be better for you to have a large millstone tied around your neck and be drowned in the depths of the sea.
7“What sorrow awaits the world, because it tempts people to sin. Temptations are inevitable, but what sorrow awaits the person who does the tempting.
10“Beware that you don’t look down on any of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels are always in the presence of my heavenly Father. (NLT)
2. But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.
19I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.
Five qualities listed: 1) love, 2) faith, 3) service, 4), patient endurance 5) greater works.
3. Be thankful for what God has brought me from and where He is taking me to next.
The Message to the Church in Sardis—–Revelation 3:1 – 6 (KJV)
1And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. (angel = messenger/pastor; one Holy Spirit (Eph. 4:4-6)—“7 Spirits of God” = Isaiah 11:2 = Spirit of God using a seven-fold description/manifestations—7 stars = pastors/overseers)
2Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God. (Matt. 26:41(NASB)
41 “Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”)
CORRECTION (HOLD FAST = resolve)
3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee. (3 R’s)
4 Thou hast a few names* even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
*(1 Kings 19:18 “Yet I will leave 7,000 in Israel, all the knees that have not bowed to Baal and every mouth that has not kissed him.”)
5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life,** but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
6 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
- Luke 10:20 (KJV) 20Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven. (written = recorded/NASB; registered/NLT)
- The message to Sardis is a warning to all “great churches” that are living on past glory. The church had grown comfortable and content and was living on its past reputation. There was reputation without reality, form without force. In fact, even what they did have was about to die! Why? Because the believers had gone to sleep.
2 Timothy 3:5 (NLT) 5They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that! (KJV: ”form of godliness”)
Monday Morning Moment: “Again……what am I hearing in these messages, but I am NOT yet doing?” (which church most resembles you now) Rev. 3:6 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
Be a Berean: “Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.” Acts 17:11
Review: Sardis sermon notes for 2-13-22
Read: Re-read Rev. 2
Meditate on: Rev. 3:2
Memorize: Rev. 3:2
Write: What are the things that you need to strengthen inyour life?
Study: Your reference Bible notes on the Sardis church.
Ephesians 4:4 – 6 (KJV) 4There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 5One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
Social Justice defined scripturally—-Micah 6:6 – 8 (NLT)
- What can we bring to the LORD? What kind of offerings should we give him? Should we bow before God with offerings of yearling calves?
- Should we offer him thousands of rams and ten thousand rivers of olive oil? Should we sacrifice our firstborn children to pay for our sins?
- No, O people, the LORD has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, (KJV: “to do justly”) to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.